Monday 26 October 2015

Trip To Thomas Hardys Cottage

My Trip To Thomas Hardy Cottage
Yesterday Sunday the 25th October I went with mum to visit Thomas Hardy s  Cottage the place were he was born and grew up and wrote Far From the Madding Crowd and Under the Greenwood Tree. I am quite Lucky that I live in Dorset as so many great Authors have lived hear in the past Thomas Hardy Being one of them I read Tess of the Durbevilles after watching the BBC adaptation and I loved it early this year I went with mum to see the older version of Far from the madding crowd Film before the new version came out I enjoyed it but boy it was long I like the new version but it left so much out I haven't read Far from the madding crowd yet but I plan to. As a National  Trust property if you are a member you get in for free bonus as I am a national Trust Member. The cottage is sign posted and there is a car park just don't go during the holidays as it gets packed we had to park on the Road. There is a new Visitor center and it has a bit about his life and a really lovely Cafe and a shop any way there is a a walk through the woods to get to the cottage but once you get there boy is it in a really quite and secluded spot perfect for any future Writer and his family I would recommend going in the summer as the Garden would be really lovely to look round but its still charming in the Autumn as you get all the Autumn clours you are even allowed to sit on the beds and chairs in the cottage if you want to. The cottage is small and its a thatched Cottage so if you are tall just a warning you might have a few bumped heads like I did when I bumped my head on the door frame I suggested earlier that you should go when the kids are not at school as you are only aloud 8 people upstairs as the floor Boards are quite old. The Cottage has a proper fire and its is Tiny I could imagine Thomas Hardy growing up there and taking in the surroundings that inspire the landscape of his books its a great visit for any book lover and fan of Thomas Hardys Work I strongly recommend if you have time to Visit Max Gate Thomas Hardys home in dorchester after if you have time I am going to go to Max Gate in the future and if you have even more time i also suggest gong to Clouds hill to visit T.E Lawrence s (Lawrence of Arabia) home as well all in all 10/10 visit and i might make this a thing to visit my favorite classics Authors house during next year if i can :) Next time I will remember my Camera :)

No comments:

Post a Comment