Sunday 25 August 2013

Wonder

Wonder
By R,J Palacio
No of Pages 315
Fave Quote "Everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their life because we all overcometh the world.-Auggie"
The Blurb: August Pullman wants to be an ordinary ten year old. He does ordinary things. He eats ice cream. He plays on his Xbox. He feels ordinary inside. 
But Auggie is far from ordinary. Ordinary kids don't make other ordinary kids run away screaming in playgrounds. Ordinary kids don't get stared at wherever they go.
Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie has been home schooled by his parents his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, he's being sent to a real school -and he's dreading it. All he wants is t be accepted- but can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them underneath it all?

Dear R.J Palacio
I finished reading your clever little book Wonder and it certainly is a Wonderful book to read. As someone who has a leaning difficulty I really related to August or Auggie he likes to be known as and I empathized with him and his struggle to fit in and be accepted in life by the people who he goes to school with. This book highlights the prejudices that people have when it comes to people who have a disability or a facial abnormality. In Wonder Auggie gets called all sorts from freak to Ugly. It made me sad when his classmates make up the game the Plague and avoid touching him that really made me cry and think how can people do that to a ten year old. I loved the caricature  of Summer who from the off wants to actually be his friend and even go as far as leaving the popular kids Halloween party when they are mean to Auggie. I really felt for Auggies sister Via as she goes on her own Journey when she starts high school i had a tear in my eye when she doesn't complain about "little stuff" to her parents because they have too much on there plate to look after her brother I love the brother sister relationship in your book it goes above and beyond then just brother and sister. I like Via because she doesn't moan or complain about the situation she just gets on with it even when she is faced with her own problems in High school. I like that Via does get the big break she deserves towards the end of the book. I love all the different peoples perspectives in the book its a nice change to let other caricatures to have a go narrating and you do get a feel about what they are all thinking about Auggies Situation. I felt the best caricature development throughout the book is Jack Wills I didn't like him at first when he was mean to Auggie at the begging of the book at Halloween but he didn't realize it was Auggie but once he realized what he had done and apologized he became a likable person and it shows how someones attitude can change to someone who is different and i like that. This book has a strong message and even though Auggie is 10 the way he deals with life is someone who is much older. The ending is brilliant and very fitting to what the book is about.  If you like Star Wars the there is a lot of star wars references which appeals to the nerd in all of us. Thank you for writing a wonderful and charming story this is not just a book for me this book will stay with me for the rest of my life. I do hope you write other books in the future as your style and subject matter is brilliant and i hope future readers feel the same way as I do. 

I give this book a super rating of 10/10 ( Feel free to comment or suggest any books i should read and review enjoy)

No comments:

Post a Comment