Thursday 19 June 2014

The Witches

The Witches
By: Roald Dahl
Published By: Puffin Books
ISBN: 978-0-141-32264-3
My Edition Published in: 2007
Number of Page: 201
Fave Quote: “It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.” 
The Blurb "Witches really are detestable breed. They disguise themselves as lovely ladies, when secretly they want to squish and squelch all the wretched children they despise. Luckily one boy and his grandmother know how to recognize these vile creatures- but can they get rid of them for good? "


My Thoughts Wow what can I say about this book. This was my first time reading this book I don't know why I didn't read it as a child maybe I thought the book would be scary but it isn't. The book follows a unnamed child and his grandma who live in Norway and his grandma starts the story by talking about Witches and what they have done to children in the past some of witch is not very nice. So the Boy and his grandma under doctors orders go to Bournemouth for a holiday a nice sea side holiday or so they think unfortunately a group of witches have decided to hold there annual general meeting and because they are witches and they hate children they devise a plan to get rid of all the children of England by turning them into mice and apparently these witches can smell you out and think that all children smell like "dogs droppings" unfortunately for the boy and another boy called Bruno they both get turned into mice and its up to them of stop the witches and the grand high witch from carrying out this plan together with the Boy's grandma and they have fun along the way. This book freaked me out while i was reading this the illustrations of the witches disguising themselves as granny and then peeling off there faces gave me shivers down my spine Roald Dhal deffiantley knows how to write Witches and at the same time Quentin Blake beautiful illustrations of the witches and the grand high witch in particular did have the scare factor. It is a Shame that Roald Dhal didn't write a squeal to this book the ending felt unfinished somehow and does leave scope for another book to follow the boy as a mouse and his grandma to stop the witches altogether but in a way its great that the ending can leave children guessing what will happen next . You can tell that this story was written in a time were smoking is allowed to be written in a children's story and The granny smoking a cigar was by far for me a really funny thing reading this in 2014 I can not imagine any granny smoking a cigar and this is why i love Roald Dhals books and stories so much they are lovely books to read even if some do have the scare factor. This is by fare my favorite book about witches that I have read and also the fact its set in Bournemouth were i live is awesome. I would deffiantley recommend this story to any adult and child alike just as long as you do not read it at night you are fine. I give this a mousetastic 4/5 stars

Click hear if you would like to see my youtube video on this book along with Charlie and the Chocolate factory
www.roalddahl.com

Links
if you would like to buy any of these books you can by clicking hear.
http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/rosieballoon
Good Reads https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4...
Rhi Reads Blog http://rhiannonpimlett.blogspot.co.uk/
Instagram Pimo 23
Have a good reading week and i will see you in my next post
Rhiannon xx :)

No comments:

Post a Comment